University of Michigan
International Center

home | immigration & visas

Immigration and Visas

For International Students

For Scholars

For International Faculty, Staff, and U-M Host Departments

Each visa type has specific requirements that must be met to ensure compliance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. If you have questions about a specific visa type or are unsure which visa type is appropriate for your department's hiring situation, contact the U-M International Center at 734.763.4081 or

Important Note: All foreign nationals (except Canadians) who were issued a paper I-94 card must turn in the I-94 Arrival/Departure Form to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before returning home. Failure to properly record your departure will not close out your arrival. CBP may then conclude that you remained in the U.S. beyond your authorized stay. Read How to Record Departure from the U.S. After the Fact for instructions on proving your valid departure.

Related Links

Last reviewed: 05/13