The U-M International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan, as well as U-M American students seeking opportunities to study, work, or travel abroad. For information about a specific U-M International Center service area, please contact us at 734.764.9310 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student and Scholar Services
Our International Student and Scholar Services team serves as a key resource to the U-M community in the following ways:
- Advises international students, scholars, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J visa categories
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes DS-2019s, I-20s, travel signatures, and letters needed for travel, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments
International Student and Scholar Health Insurance
The U-M International Center's Health Insurance office administers the University of Michigan mandatory health insurance program for international students and scholars, including providing and processing forms needed for insurance enrollment, changes, and requests for waivers of the insurance requirement. This office also assists students and scholars who have questions or concerns about insurance procedures and filing insurance claims.
Faculty and Staff Immigration Services
Our Faculty and Staff Immigration Services team provides the following services to U-M foreign national employees and departments on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses:
- Advises departments on U-M and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) policies and procedures for employing foreign nationals to ensure compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations
- Prepares and files employment-based visa petitions with USCIS on behalf of the University of Michigan
- Coordinates other employment-based immigration petitions in which the University of Michigan is the petitioner with approved, external immigration attorneys retained by the University
- Conducts workshops on topics for foreign national faculty, staff, and U-M departments
Our office does not provide legal immigration advice. If you need legal immigration advice, we recommend consulting a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
Global Engagement and Education Abroad
The Global Engagement and Education Abroad team promotes and facilitates the International Center's signature programming, develops relationships with campus partners, and serves as the programmatic function of the International Center.
- Organizes orientation programs for new international students, scholars and families
- Develops cultural and social events to promote active engagement and inclusion efforts between U.S. and international students
- Collaborates on programs that support international student health and wellness
- Oversees the International Center Student Council
- Leads the Intercultural Leadership Seminar
- Advises students interested in education abroad experiences outside the United States
- Facilitates the selection of funding recipients for funding for education abroad including the Raoul Wallenberg International Travel Summer Award, the Mark and Myra Sorensen International Travel Scholarship and the Swieca Family Israel Travel Fund
- Administers the International Center Emergency Funds and the International Center Grant Fund
- Prepares and facilitates the International Center Global Wolverines event series
- Coordinates International Career Pathways
- Provides recruitment activities promoting the Peace Corps
- Manages the Peace Corps Prep Program
- Develops and conducts workshops on a wide range of intercultural communication, diversity, inclusion, and international student community topics