What is it?
Global Wolverines is an event series for students traveling abroad during the summer. The aim of the events is to provide students with a foundation essential for having successful international experiences.
How can I attend?
Events are open to all students at U-M. They are not mandatory; students may pick and choose events based on their travel plans and their level of experience.
Peer Support Group (for Undergraduates):
Would you like to be part of a small cohort of students who are also preparing for an international experience this summer? If so, consider participating in the Global Wolverine peer support group!
As a member of the peer support group, you will be invited to attend occasional gatherings (dinner provided) where you can meet other undergraduate students who will be going abroad this summer. Attending these gatherings will include working on your internship and funding applications, chatting with other group members about your travel plans, learning from peers, and more. The group will be led by our Graduate Student Peer Advisor, Jamauri Bryan.
The peer support group will meet on Tuesday evenings during the Winter 2024 term. Meeting dates are:
- Tuesday, January 23, 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, February 13, 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Other meeting dates TBD
This group is open to all undergraduate students but would be especially useful for first-time travelers.
If you are interested in the peer support group, please complete this brief form by January 19, 2024.
Use this link to register for the sessions listed below. Please check back often as the list of events highlighted below will continue to be updated and expanded upon throughout the Winter semester!
- How to Find and Fund a Non-UM International Internship
- Friday, January 19, 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Booking International Flights on a Budget
- Friday, February 9, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Staying Safe & Healthy While Abroad
- Thursday, March 7, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
- More information about the following events is coming soon:
- Essential Travel Logistics for Students
- Survival Language & Culture
- Exploring Cultural & Respectful Community Engagement
Other Relevant International Center Events
Intercultural Leadership Seminar
The Intercultural Leadership Seminar (ILS) is designed for U.S. and international students who want to learn how to be more effective in a global environment. ILS includes brief lectures, discussion, experiential activities, and small group work. Read More.
ILS will be held on Friday, March 8; Friday, March 22; and Friday, April 5. More information will be available soon.
Cultural and Social Events
Please check back often as the list of events highlighted below will continue to be updated and expanded upon throughout the Winter semester!
- 60 Minutes Around the Globe: 60 Minutes Around the World is a monthly event in which international students present information about their home countries! The topics vary based on presenter preference, but may include information about food, music, sports, politics, religions, etc. The presentations are intended to be informal and are followed by a question and answer session. This is a great opportunity to learn more about another part of the world and - if you're going to be traveling to one of the countries being presented on - it's a great way to "know before you go." More information about the Winter term series is coming soon!
- International Coffee Hour: International Coffee Hour is a great place to meet members of the U-M community from all around the world! This informal social event is open to all. While walk-ins are welcome at the event, early registration is appreciated to help us prepare for the event! More information will be available soon.