Step 1: Apply
- Complete the Peace Corps Prep application on MCompass. Starting in Fall 2020, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the calendar year. Refer to the Student Guide to plan how you intend to fulfill the Peace Corps Prep requirements
- Within two weeks you can expect to hear from a Peace Corps Prep Advisor regarding your application status
Step 2: Attend Peace Corps Prep Orientation
- Once admitted, you will be invited to a Peace Corps Prep Orientation meeting to learn more about the program specifics and engage with fellow PC Prep students. Orientations will be held regularly throughout the academic year to accommodate the rolling admissions process.
Step 3: Meet with a PC Prep Advisor
- After attending the PC Prep Orientation, you may wish to meet with a PC Prep advisor
- Come to this meeting prepared to discuss the curriculum and plan that you completed on your application - this will be an opportunity to double check that your intended plan will be successful and/or make any changes
Step 4: Certificate requirements
- When enrolling in classes, ensure that you are signing up for courses that also fulfill the work sector, cultural competence, and language requirements of the PC Prep program
- Engage in service hours to fulfill work sector requirements - remember to have the tracking form signed by a supervisor!
- While you may choose to wait until your senior year to have your resume reviewed and complete a mock interview, it is never too soon to plan how you will fulfill the leadership requirement; joining a student organization may be a good way to start!
Step 5: Engage
- Stay connected to the Peace Corps Prep community by taking part in Peace Corps Prep meetings and other related events.
- Be sure to connect with a PC Prep Coordinator periodically to track your progress in the program and ensure you are meeting the requirements.
Step 6: Completion of requirements
- After successfully completing all of the program requirements, log back into M-Compass
- Upload and submit the following completed and signed forms to M-Compass
- Unofficial university transcript
- Work sector hour documentation
- Resume review verification form
- Interview preparation verification form
- Exit checklist
- Once you’ve completed all the MCompass requirements, you’ll need to press the “Submit” button in MCompass. This will alert the PC Prep team that your documents are ready for review.
- Schedule an appointment to come into the International Center, and meet with an advisor to review and sign your checklist!
- This step is very important and is a requirement for completing the U-M Peace Corps Prep program.
- Upon completion of the program requirements and approval by a PC Prep coordinator, you will have earned your official PC Prep Certificate. The national Peace Corps Office distributes certificates two times per year - at the end of the Fall and Winter semesters.
Step 7: Prepare for service
- For students who wish to serve in the Peace Corps upon graduation, you may begin looking into the best Peace Corps position for you!
- For advice on the application process, reach out to a Peace Corps Recruiter right here on U-M’s campus!
- Remember to upload your completed (and signed) Exit Checklist when you apply for Peace Corps - even if you’ve not yet finished all of your requirements!