China Pre-Departure Orientation Leaders
The University of Michigan International Center is excited to host two Pre-Departure Orientations (PDO) for new undergraduate Chinese students and parents June 2019. These PDO events will be June 15 in Beijing and June 22 in Shanghai. The International Center is seeking 10 student Orientation Leaders to volunteer for each PDO event. Our Orientation Leaders will share valuable information with new students and their parents in order to prepare them for their travel to and arrival in Ann Arbor.
Orientation Leaders will gain valuable experience developing skills around public speaking, presentation development, and peer-mentorship, as well as have this exciting opportunity to represent U-M abroad!
- Must be a Chinese citizen or someone who has significant experience living in China.
- Must be fluent in Mandarin.
- Must be a current undergraduate student (those graduating May 2019 still eligible).
- Must be available for at least one PDO event, and must stay for entirety of event (anticipated 8am-4pm schedule).
Meetings and Training
China Orientation Leaders will be required to attend an in-person training in Ann Arbor during the month of May (DATE TBD). Additionally, China Orientation Leaders are asked to attend a refresher meeting one hour before the Beijing and/or Shanghai events.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Greet and welcome students and parents upon arrival.
- Provide translation services for parents and/or students.
- Provide information to students and their parents about topics related to: traveling to Ann Arbor, adjusting to U.S. culture, life as a student at U-M, banking, transportation, housing, phones, etc.
- Review presentation content, provide necessary feedback, assist with translation and interpretation as needed.
- Excellent listening, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Very comfortable speaking in front of a group of students or parents and answering questions.
- Very familiar with U-M, U-M services, and Ann Arbor.
- Ability to work independently as well as a strong team member
- Excellent presentation skills
- Comfortable talking about your own experiences and the adjustments you had to make when you came to U-M and to the U.S.
This position is a volunteer and provides no compensation. Volunteers are responsible for their own transportation to and from PDO sites and any other expenses incurred.
How to Apply
Those interested should complete the application by April 12. Those selected (for an interview) will be contacted by April 16.
Questions? Contact email@example.com