Welcome to Michigan! The International Center staff is excited to welcome you to campus.
Below you’ll find a comprehensive list of orientation events and resources that will be available to support you as you begin your journey as a new student at the University of Michigan. Events will be held both in-person and virtually this summer. Here is an overview of what will be offered:
- Blogs & videos written by International Summer Orientation Peer Advisors
- A Canvas course with resources, videos, and slides from presentations
- Social events through which you can meet other new international students
- A “Welcome Desk” staffed by International Orientation Peer Advisors to address your general questions (not immigration-related questions)
- An event series especially for spouses and partners of international students.
- Virtual and In-Person presentations on a wide range of topics related to life in Ann Arbor and at the University of Michigan.
- Check out the Life in Ann Arbor section of the International Center’s website for more information about local resources and getting settled in Ann Arbor.
More details about how to access each of these opportunities can be found below.
The Summer Orientation Peer advisors will be writing blog posts and creating short videos to document their personal stories and share useful tips with new students. Content from 2023 will be available in early August!
All incoming international students and scholars are encouraged to join our Canvas course, which will feature slides, resources, and - in many cases - videos from presentations that will be given as part of our virtual workshop series. See below for details about workshops that will be offered during the 2023 Summer Orientation.
The International Center will be offering several in-person social events in August, which will be led by Summer Orientation Peer Advisors. Events include informal walking tours of Central and North campuses, hiking in the Arb, a visit to Kerrytown and the Farmer’s Market and more! Events will begin in mid-August.
Starting on Monday, August 15, Summer Orientation Peer Advisers will staff an in-person Welcome Desk outside of the International Center in the lobby of the Student Activities Building. Stop by to say hi and get questions about life in Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan answered by fellow international students.
- Week of August 14th:
- Monday - Friday: 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm
- Week of August 21st:
- Monday: 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm
- Tuesday: 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm (Ending early so that everyone can attend the Ice Cream Social!)
- Wednesday: Closed due to International Undergraduate Welcome Day
- Thursday: 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm
- Friday: 9am-12pm
As a spouse or partner of an international student at the University of Michigan, you may be wondering how to adjust to living in the U.S., and in Ann Arbor. Attend the events below to learn about some of the possibilities and to meet other spouses and partners of international students!
- New International Spouses & Partners Orientation & Networking (Lunch Provided!) - Monday, August 21st from 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Every English Workshop & Tour of Ann Arbor - Monday, August 28th from 10am-12pm
All events will be led by the Michigan Language Center (MLC) in partnership with the U-M International Center.
This series is being offered as part of International Orientation; however, registration is open to continuing students, as well.
Workshops Presented by International Center Summer Orientation Peer Advisors
Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Conversations
P2P Conversations connect our Summer Orientation Peer advisors with new international students and offer an opportunity for new students around the world to meet each other.
Through a series of virtual sessions, our Peer advisors will provide information and resources based on their personal experiences and answer questions from new students. Each session starts with a presentation on a specific topic and then is followed by a Q&A.
You may register as many sessions as you are interested in by using the registration link. Register to view Zoom livestream information and receive a confirmation email. The presentations and recordings will be available in the International Center Summer Orientation Canvas Site after the sessions.
- Academic Support/Cultural Transition
- How to use Canvas & Wolverine Access
- Communicating with Academic Advisors
- Cultural differences in the classroom
- Making the Most of Your GSI/GSRA
- Practical Matters:
- Banking & Budgeting
- Shopping in Ann Arbor
- Finding an On-Campus Job
- Transportation and Safety:
- Transportation in Ann Arbor
- Getting a Driver's License & Buying a Car
- Personal safety
- Health & Wellbeing at U-M
- Getting Involved on campus & making friends
- Healthy Relationships & Dating in the U.S.
- Things to do in Ann Arbor
Workshops Presented by other University Departments and Partners
We are also happy to offer a number of workshops offered by staff from departments and organizations on and nearby campus! You may register for as many sessions as you are interested in.
- You can also view a full list of these sessions here.