Faculty Staff Immigration Services (FSIS) serves the international faculty, staff, their families as well as hiring units on the University of Michigan's Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses. We facilitate intercultural and international education and aim to foster a global campus community through comprehensive, high-quality immigration advisement; case preparation and case management; compliance and risk management guidance; programming; and advocacy at all levels.
FSIS is the University's official and authoritative source of immigration advice for all international employees requiring employment-based immigration sponsorship and, in consultation with the Office of General Counsel (OGC), is charged with the responsibility of representing all University campuses on employment-based immigration matters and managing the country's largest, academic H-1B program. As such, FSIS prepares and files all employment-based immigration petitions with the appropriate government agencies. However, note that our office does not provide legal advice. If legal advice on immigration-related matters is required, FSIS will, in consultation with OGC, refer the matter to an immigration attorney outside of the University. Also, FSIS may, after review and at its discretion, assign an immigration petition to outside Retained Immigration Counsel.
In addition, FSIS conducts large and small group workshops on a variety of topics for interested international faculty and staff as well as all university units; we are always happy to come to units to conduct a presentation. FSIS also serves as a resource to improve international and intercultural awareness for faculty and staff and provides consultations on a broad array of topics, including policy development and implementation pertaining to serving the international population.
When you have any question or concern, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- 5/10/2023: On 5/10/2023, CBP announced that, effective 5/12/2023, it is terminating the COVID-19 vaccine requirement for traveleres entering the US via the Canadian and the Mexican land borders. In a separate announcement, the CDC is also ending the vaccine requirement for international air travelers, also effective 5/12/2023.
- 5/2/2023: on 5/1/2023, the White House announced it will end the COVID-19 vaccine requirements for international air travelers, effective 5/11/2023. A separate announcement re. the end of the vaccination requirement for individuals entering the US via the land border is expected soon.
- 4/19/2023: on 4/19/2023, USCIS announced that it would extend the temporary suspension of the biometrics submission requirement (and payment) for H-4, L-2 and E status I-539 applicants from 5/17/23 until 9/30/2023 in anticipation of a permanent biometrics exemption for all I-539 applicants. Please refer to the USCIS website for current I-539 filing fees: https://www.uscis.gov/i-539
- 4/3/2023: On 3/28/2028, the US Department of State announced its new visa application fee schedule, which will take effect on 5/30/2023. The H-1B visa application fee will increase from $190 to $205. Note that individual applicants may be charged addtional reciprocity fees, as outlined in the Department of State reciprocity table.
- 3/10/2023: On 3/10/23, the CDC rescinded the requirement for a negative pre-departure Covid-19 test for passengers traveling to the US from China, effective 3.00pm ET on 3/10/2023.
- 1/23/2023: On 1/19/2023, USCIS entered into a Settlement Agreement agreeing to adjudicate H-4 change/extension of status petitions as well as H-4 EAD applications together with concurrently-filed H-1B petitions. This means that, if an H-1B petition is filed under Premium Processing and the Form I-539 and Form I-765 are properly filed together with the H-1B petition, ALL should be adjudicated under Premium Processing.
- 1/12/2023: On 1/12/2023, USCIS announced that it is implementing the final phase of the Premium Processing expansion for Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers, under EB-1 and EB-2 classifications, including all new and pending EB-2 NIW applications.