All individuals in H-1B, TN, E-3 and O-1 status are eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN). SSNs are only issued once (though you can replace the card if you have lost one). If you don't have a SSN, you will have to apply for one in person at the nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) office. When applying for your SSN, you will need to bring:

  • Passport,
  • I-94 card or record,
  • I-797 Approval Notice (if applicable)
  • Copy of the packet you received from the IC.
  • Offer letter (recommended)

Note that you should wait to apply for your SSN until you have been in the U.S. for at least a week to ensure that your information is available to the SSA office.  For more information on how to apply for a SSN, please refer to the Applying for a Social Security Number and Card  section of the IC website.