Do U-M health insurance plans cover testing and treatment for COVID-19?
Yes, all U-M health insurance plans cover COVID-19 testing and treatment.
- International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan:
- COVID-19 vaccination is covered at 100% in-network.
- The plan covers medically necessary diagnostic testing and treatment for COVID-19. The same coverage, co-pays and deductibles that apply to other illnesses apply to COVID-19 diagnostic testing and treatment.
- Not covered:
- Over the counter COVID-19 tests.
- Tests to meet travel requirements since they are not “medically necessary”.
- Plan coverage details: U-M International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan
- Insurance company services related to COVID-19
- Questions: International Center Insurance Advisor
- GradCare and U-M employee health insurance plans such as U-M Premier Care
- Covid-19 vaccination and medically necessary diagnostic testing and treatment for COVID-19 are covered.
- Coverage details: U-M Health Plans
- Questions: SSC Contact Center (734) 615-2000
Do U-M insurance plans cover flu shots? Are flu shots recommended?
Yes, all U-M health insurance plans also cover flu shots at no cost to you and flu shots are strongly recommended since the shots will help you stay healthy and protect those around you from influenza. Plan to get a flu shot if you have not already done so.
Where can I find U-M recommendations for COVID-19 precautions?
The U-M Health Response website has information and updates.
When will insurance coverage begin for new students?
After you complete your mandatory check-in, your health insurance coverage will begin on your I-20 or DS-2019 start state. The mandatory check-ins for Fall Term 2023 will be online.
Can new students who arrive on campus before their I-20 or DS-2019 start date start their insurance coverage early?
Yes, if you arrive on campus early, you can start your insurance coverage early as long as the new start date is in the same month as your I-20 or DS-2019 start date. For example, if your I-20 start date is August 25, the earliest that you can start your insurance is August 1. If you would like to do this, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an earlier start date.
Last Updated: 05/12/2023