How can I move/transfer my J-1 status to a new academic institution?

To request a transfer, you should submit the Transfer-Out request following the instructions on the M-Passport portal. On your transfer release date, your SEVIS database record will be moved from the University of Michigan sponsorship to your new institution. After that, your new school will be able to prepare an updated, “transfer” DS-2019 reflecting your new sponsorship. Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, you will no longer be affiliated with our institution from an immigration perspective, so you should no longer work here unless given authorization from your new sponsor.