How does my J-2 dependent apply for U.S. work authorization?

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for permission to work from Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) through a Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. A J-2 dependent may begin employment only after receiving the approved Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS. For further guidance, refer to J-2 Dependent Employment Authorization.