The International Center is looking to hire one graduate student to co-lead the International Center Student Council (ICSC) during the 2019-2020 academic year. ICSC Leaders will facilitate ICSC meetings, manage ICSC communication (emails, social media, flyers, etc.), ensure deadlines by members are met, organize ICSC events, and serve as a liaison between ICSC members and the U-M International Center. ICSC Co-Leaders will be supported by the Global Engagement and Education Abroad (GEEA) team.
ICSC provides globally minded students with a forum to identify and examine issues affecting students. ICSC serves as a direct link between U-M students and the International Center, and it is dedicated to helping the International Center fulfill its mission.
- Provide a forum for issues affecting students.
- Maintain open channels of communication among students, student groups, and IC staff.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of on campus programs and initiatives.
- Promote active engagement between international and U.S. students.
- Represent the international community, as needed, on campus or in the community.
- Engage in additional projects and activities as determined by the International Center.
- Applicant must have been a student at U-M for at least one academic term.
- Applicants must be enrolled for and will serve for the entire 2019-2020 academic year (September 1, 2019-April 30, 2020). International scholars and alumni who have already graduated are not eligible to apply.
- Position is open to both international and U.S. students.
- Applicant must have strong intercultural communication skills and understanding of cultural humility.
- International students with a 0.50 appointment (20 hours per week) are not eligible for this program due to visa regulations.
Compensation and Commitment
- Leaders will participate in monthly leadership meeting with U-M International Center staff.
- Leaders will facilitate monthly ICSC meeting with all volunteer members.
- Estimated time commitment: 5 hours weekly.
- Compensation: $2,000 scholarship (split; paid out at beginning of Fall and Winter terms). Scholarship is renewable based on favorable performance evaluation and funding availability.
Application Process and Deadline
For full consideration of this position, please submit a resume and cover letter describing why you think you are qualified for the position and your vision for the advancement of ICSC at U-M. You can upload your documents here. The deadline to apply is August 19.