If you are unable to submit your tax form(s) by the tax deadline, use Form 4868 to apply for an extension of time to file Form 1040 or 1040NR. If you use this form, your deadline to file your tax return will be October 16, 2023.
To get the extra time you must:
- Estimate the amount you owe.
- Enter that amount on Line 4 of Form 4868, and include your payment with the form.
- Mail Form 4868 in time to be postmarked no later than April 18, 2023.
To request an extension of time to file the State of Michigan tax form, please follow the instructions for Form 4, Instructions for Application for Extension of Time to File Michigan Tax Returns. Mail Form 4 in time to be postmarked no later than April 18, 2023.
- If you are a nonresident for tax purposes, you can use Glacier Tax Prep to estimate the amount (if any) that you owe).
- If you have applied for a SSN (Social Security Number) or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) but have not received it yet, write "SSN applied for" or "ITIN applied for" in the box on Form 4868 that asks for your SSN.
- Make a copy of your extension request for your records, as well as a copy of any check/money order you attach.
Reviewed and updated April, 2023