Students, Scholars, and Dependents entering the U.S. are given proof of legal non-immigrant status at the Port of Entry by a Customs and Border Protection Officer. For those entering at an airport, proof of status is a stamp and notation in the passport. The hand-written notation should indicate your status (F-1, J-1, F-2, J-2) and your duration of stay D/S. You should print a paper copy of your Most Recent Form I-94 to document your status at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/. Please select Most Recent I-94, not Travel History. The International Center cannot use Travel History when needing to verify the Most Recent I-94. Those entering the U.S. at a land border will receive a small white I-94 card with the same notations. Prepare a copy of this I-94 card.

Please note that if you changed your immigration status within the US via a successful in-country change of nonimmigrant status (Form I-539) application with USCIS and have not since traveled outside the US, the I-94 is located on your change of status approval notice document (I-797).